Tuesday, January 24, 2012

Imbolc Love!

The wonderful sabbat Imbolc is returning, and we are preparing for it!

Yesterday I dug out my wheat and set it to soak. Of course Kevin was excited, as this is the first time he and I have done this together. His idea was to tease a cat with the wheat of course, so now my weavings have to be on the wall or hidden from the cats or they will play with it!

I made two Brigid's crosses. The first one is primitive and rough looking, as the wheat wasn't quite soaked enough, but I still like it and plan to hang it on the front door. The second one I made is pictured above, and Kevin loves it. It too is a little rough... it's possible my wheat was too old? I have no idea when I got it, but it was surely well before the kid was born, lol.

Kevin did his own thing with scraps. I tried to interest him in attempting one of the crosses, but lately when I pull out some sort of crafting, he just wants to do his own stuff, and I'm ok with that! His imagination is fun to watch, I like to see what he comes up with. Today was also good practice at dealing with frustration - for both of us!

Kevin insisted I take a picture of his creations along with mine! So I did. Sorry about the flash reflection on the table. I have much to learn about photography as well as wheat working. :)



Here are my creations from yesterday. The only traditional weaving I did were the Brigid crosses and that little star, which I found on a website in the beginner weaving section. hahaha! The little wheat goddess and god were me just experimenting for the fun of it!

Not sure what we'll do next but we do need to make some candles still. We have until next thursday! :)
Do you have any plans for the coming Sabbat, or if you don't celebrate it, have you done anything to bring some cheerfulness to your home in these dreary winter days?

No comments:

Post a Comment