Tuesday, October 15, 2013

Favorites: Books

Some friends that are new to the Craft had asked last month about books to read. So I whipped up this list quick-like and gave it to them.

This is NOT a comprehensive list of to-read books. It's just a list of books that influenced me the most, my favorites, ones that I would even read again (and again and again, in some cases!).

These are in no particular order except for the heading they are under. :)  The book titles are amazon links.

The books I found most influential from day one to today!
  • Cat Magic   by Jonathan Barry and Whitley Strieber - the first (fiction) book I ever read that presented witches as anything other than evil devil worshippers. Very witchy and is what sent me on my witchy path quest.
  • Diary of a Witch  by Sybil Leek - the first non-fiction non-evil-devil-worshipper witchy book I ever read.
  • Earth Power  by Scott Cunningham - the second non-fiction witchy book I read.
  • Drawing Down the Moon  by Margot Adler - different pagan paths
  • Spiral Dance  by Starhawk
  • Positive Magic  by Marion Weinstein
  • The Witches' Goddess  by Stewart Farrar and Janet Farrar
  • True Magick  by Amber K - Amber K is my magickal "grandmother". She initiated the HP/HPS who initiated me. I will always  love her books! (the link is to the 2nd edition, which is quite expanded since the 1st ed that I read)
  • When God Was a Woman   by Merlin Stone
  • Real Magic  by Isaac Bonewits - I have read it twice and am thinking I may be re-reading it again soon. Discussion of what magic is, how it works. Changed my paradigm.
  • The Science of the Craft  by William H. Keith -  another paradigm shifter... introduces the idea that quantum physics may be behind the reality of what we call magic.  May be true, maybe not. It was still well worth buying so I could read it several times.
  • Jambalaya:The Natural Woman's Book of Personal Charms and Practical Rituals  by Luisah Teish  - don't let the title fool you. Luisah is a priestess of Oshun and this is an awesome read.
  • TheFifth Sacred Thing  by Starhawk (Kindle version) - fiction, but it's Starhawk's pagan vision of post-society collapse. pretty awesome. She's trying to make a movie of it.

Books I have on my bookshelf I've read, learned from and that I won't give up
This is NOT a comprehensive list of what's on my shelf... ha!
And all the other books by Starhawk, Marion Weinstein, Dan and Pauline Campanelli, the Farrars, Doreen Valiente, Cunningham.

Check back now and then. I'm sure I'll be adding to this list!

No comments:

Post a Comment