Saturday, February 11, 2012

44 Days of Witchery - Day 14

Photo by The Pagan Family
44 Days of Witchery - Day 14: A favorite pagan holiday

I love them all. Really. But my top two favorites are Samhain and... you guessed it, Beltane.

Beltane is made of awesome. The days are (usually) warmer and greener. It's close to my birthday (April 24). My mood always takes a huge upswing in April and May.

Usually friends of ours invite us to their big Beltane celebration, complete with Maypole and fire-leaping. (babies were recently born after being conceived right after that fire-leaping, awesome!)

I remember as a kid we celebrated May Day with May baskets that we made ourselves - myself and cousins... none of our neighbors knew what May Day was. Family called it our old German heritage... making our own baskets and filling them with little gifts. Then sneaking up to our cousin's door and leaving the basket there, ringing the bell and hiding. My Aunt Deloris was an expert at coming up with the most awesome recycled baskets from plastic milk jugs and other household cast-offs... and this was more than 30 years ago, before "re-purposing" was trendy.

No comments:

Post a Comment