Saturday, February 4, 2012

44 Days of Witchery - Day 8

www.nasa.gov
44 Days of Witchery - Day 8: a photo of a magical place outdoors

I looked through my photos and while I found many lovely pictures of places I've been, and they were all magical to me because I'd been there and because they were inherently magical as they were part of the earth.  I kept thinking... these pictures do not say what I want to say... but I couldn't figure out why.

Then I realized, taking one photo of one place and saying it's a magical place (to me) is implying some other places are NOT magical. And while I would agree that the local county landfill does not at all seem like a magical place... it is! It's part of the earth but also, there is magic happening there. Some of what is there is being converted (eventually) into compost, and other things the earth will use. Yes, there is stuff there that may last for thousands of years and do nothing good for the environment. I am an optimist and hope that someday either mankind or the earth finds some way to handle our landfills.

Till then, I have to say, here is my photo of a magical place. The Earth. It's part of a magical universe. We are part of this magical planet. What we, as people NEED to do is own this feeling that we are living on a magical, living planet so that we all can treasure it as we should.

No comments:

Post a Comment