Friday, February 3, 2012

44 Days of Witchery - Day 7

44 Days of Witchery - Day 7: Element of air

This is pretty open-ended. :) the list didn't say "photo" or anything. I could have done a list of correspondences but who cares? those lists are all over the 'net.

So I guess I'll just type some random thoughts I had today about air. When I was trying to decide what picture to use, cuz I always use a picture - preferably one I've taken - I thought of this one that I took at the family museum, of a "tornado" machine that is supposed to demonstrate for kids how tornadoes form.

For kids, this is just something they like to jump into, to break up the "tornado" and make it form again. But as I'm sitting there watching it, mesmerized by the foggy smokey stuff, I think of how this "tornado" doesn't really show the power of real tornadoes, how awesome and horrifying they can be. I thought of my mom, recently moved to OK, sitting in her closet during tornadoes last summer. I thought of the baby, pulled from his mother's arms as they sat in their bathtub during a tornado in my mom's town and later found, dead. I thought of the tornadoes that devastated Missouri last year.

Usually when I think of the "Element of Air" I think of feathers, birds, breath, words. Easy things, nothing dangerous (well... words can be but for the sake of this writing...). But today my contemplation of air reminds me that like water and fire and yes, even earth, these elements have their destructive side. We think we, as humans, have it all figured out. We are very small beings that are just a small part of the larger organism, the earth.

No comments:

Post a Comment