Sunday, July 14, 2013

44 Days of Witchery - Day 25

44 Days of Witchery - Day 25
How do your close ones feel about your witchy path? Do they know? Why or why not?

I'm using a photo of the altar at our handfasting and wedding.  This was when my parents learned that I definitely was not a christian. I had tried to give little warnings, but it was hard to come out and say "I'm Wiccan (as I was then, I do not identify as wiccan now), in a coven and everything." Or even that other dreaded "W" word... witch! gasp.

My hubby doesn't seem to have any religious or spiritual leanings at all... I might be able to safely call him a "pagan agnostic".  hahaha.  He's totally supportive of my choices, I was a witch before we met and he knew what he was getting into. Theoretically at least. :)  He's attended open rituals and celebrations, he's attended a few workshops and my former coven's Wicca 101 classes.

Dad never talked to me about it, and my stepmom has never spoken in disapproval about it.  Both were raised with christian backgrounds. Dad has passed away, so I'll never know how he felt about it I guess.

My lack of communication did hurt my mom's feelings and we needed to process it later, a few weeks after the wedding. Mom has a strong christian lifestyle and at first there was a lot of "I'll pray for you."  But now she doesn't say that anymore, and I think she even made a witch joke to me once. :)  I do know she's passively tried to instill christian ideas into my kid's head, once. I watch for that though. We live quite a distance so our visits are not as often as I'd like... I do long for the days when we could talk about anything openly... after I got over my teen rebellious stage, we used to talk about astrology and other things.

My husband's mother doesn't seem to care one way or the other...she even asked me to teach her a little about it, not for herself but in case something happened to me, so that she could tell my son what she knew and he could decide to walk a similar path or not.

Nearly all my closest friends are either pagan themselves, or at least know and accept that I'm pagan even if they don't know the details. Anyone else's opinion doesn't really have effect on me.

While I do consider myself "out of the broom closet", I do not consider myself "out there" or super blatantly witchy. I don't do the "goth" look except perhaps as a costume. I look like a tubby middle class mom, not particularly witchy... if witchy has a look.  But I am not furtive or secretive in my choice of lifestyle so if someone hears me say "by the gods!" they are welcome to ask what I mean, if it matters that much to them. :)

No comments:

Post a Comment