Tuesday, July 23, 2013

44 Days of Witchery - Day 29

44 Days of Witchery - Day 29
Water Element

A person can hardly live in the area I live in and remain completely disconnected from Water.  I live in a city along the Mississippi River (or just, The River).  In fact, where I live is the only place where The River flows east to west.

The River permeates our lives. It floods almost every year, and we adapt. Many people live on one side of The River and work on the other. We who live here are often crossing back and forth if not daily, usually weekly, at least monthly.

It is beautiful; giving us amazing photos of itself, it's wildlife, giving us entertainment. It is ugly; the site of industry, pollution, contaminated water and fish. It drives people to great lengths to clean it up. To avoid it. to seek it out.

I happen to be very fond of Ancient Egypt and it's mythology, and I see The River as that Great River... a reflection of the celestial Nile. The water that flowed through the Nile in Egypt has flowed through the Mississippi. It gives me a deeper connection to the mythology of Egypt, especially since we are nearly at an almost perfect annual inundation every spring/summer.

It is Water, with all it's beauty and challenges. I wouldn't want to be anywhere else.

No comments:

Post a Comment